Sunday, August 22, 2010

Two Guys, A Girl, and the Rain

This post is part of Andrew's "Wet Blogathon" in which the participants must post a picture of their favorite rainy scene from a film.

As soon as I posted my Enchanted entry for the blogathon, I thought of the rainy scene I SHOULD have picked instead. For some reason I just completely forgot about it even though (a) the scene is gorgeously shot, (b) memorable enough in a movie that is chock full of pretty shots, and (c) is pretty much the heart of the story.

And since this scene is so great, I was very much inclined to post 10 or so images, but I decided to pick two so as not to overwhelm everyone:


These two scenes are from Academy Award Best Picture winner Slumdog Millionaire (also my favorite film of that year). The scene happens early in the film when the three kids manage to escape a violent raid that left them all essentially homeless and orphaned. Brothers Jamal and Salim take refuge from the rain as Latika shivers outside waiting for the brothers to invite her in.

The scene continues with the older brother Salim refusing to welcome her and Jamal later disobeying his older brother's wishes by telling her to join them. The scene hammers into us again the differences between Jamal and Salim while also being the setting for the beginning of Jamal and Latika's relationship. Plus, as I've mentioned before, this whole sequence is shot amazingly with the silhouettes and the light illuminating the rain.

I tried to find a video of this scene online, but it's nowhere to be found. In any case, if you haven't seen this film, you must. And not just for this beautiful scene either.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing choice! I would have to say the "Slumdog Millionaire" scene is my preferred pick over the "Enchanted" scenes. That movie was just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anna - Me too. Which is why I was so beside myself when I didn't think of it in the first place and only AFTER I posted my Enchanted post. I really love this scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technically speaking this one is better, but I still prefer the Enchanted one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danny Boyle uses wetness and bathrooms better than any director before or since

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!