Monday, August 30, 2010

Movie Meme: Day 30

"31 Day Movie Meme"


Day 30 | Saddest death scene


It's kind of random that the two saddest death scenes I could think of are Hilary Swank-related. There's her grueling death by getting shot and stabbed as Brandon Teena in Boys Don't Cry and then there's her heartbreaking and quiet death scene being euthanized by her mentor (played by Clint Eastwood) in Million Dollar Baby.

It's pretty difficult to pick one death scene over another because they are so different. The Boys Don't Cry death is the gorier death scene as we see blood splattered on the wall as Brandon is shot through the neck. The whole thing is just super intense. In the end, I'll probably give the edge to Million Dollar Baby, especially with Eastwood's heartfelt and tear-jerking monologue:

All right. I'm gonna disconnect your air machine, then you're gonna go to sleep. Then I'll give you a shot, and you'll... stay asleep. Mo cuishle means "My darling, my blood."

His last line telling her the meaning of the name he has used for her throughout the movie is probably the moment where everyone's hearts should be breaking. I certainly felt that way. Still do.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't seen either of them, though not for lack of wanting to. They're not high on my priority list. I was irritated when someone spoiled the ending of MDB, though, because it sounds incredible. I'll have to get on it to watch them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the lemon pie.

    ::sniffle::

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!