Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Movie Meme: Day 10

"31 Day Movie Meme"


Day 10 | A movie you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving


Two people meeting each other on a train and then decide to hang out in a foreign city for the rest of the day and talk? Talk? Really? That's it? Seriously? That's the plot?

That was pretty much my reaction whenever someone would tell me to watch Before Sunrise the 1995 film starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. In my defense, the movie was exactly just as I thought plot-wise. American Jessie (Hawke) meets French Céline (Delpy) on a train on its way to Vienna, Jessie's destination, and then to Paris, Céline's destination. They strike up a conversation and Jessie manages to convince Céline to hang out with him in Vienna until he has to catch his flight to America the next morning. The film then unfolds as the two young travelers roam the city and talk about everything (love, life, fears, hopes, dreams, etc.). They inevitably form a connection, but in the end they agree to meet together at the same place in six months. The end.

May not seem much, but the chemistry between the two actors was palpable from the moment they start talking to each other. It's also the type of film that in an alternate universe where I'm a talented screenwriter I would have LOVED to write--just two people talking to each other and them finding a little bit more about themselves through this act with this complete stranger.

Oh and there's a sequel that came out in 2004! I was also afraid to see this, but only because I thought they couldn't match the chemistry and charm of the first film. They proved me wrong. Before Sunset was just as wonderful as its predecessor. Now I just want to re-watch both films again.

2 comments:

  1. I love being friends with you. You always watch movies I've never seen and probably wouldn't pick up on my own.

    Adding this to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love BEFORE SUNRISE, and the sequel, as you say, is just as good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!