Monday, August 16, 2010

Movie Meme: Day 16

"31 Day Movie Meme"


Day 16 | Your guilty pleasure movie

It was between Bring It On and Mean Girls, but since Bunny wrote on Mean Girls, I decided to pick the cheertastic Bring It On which coincidentally is celebrating its 10th anniversary in only a few days! Also as a side-note... wow, I feel old. In any case, I'm actually planning a bigger, more extensive post on the movie during its anniversary so this entry is going to be short and sweet.

Saw this on opening weekend mostly due to Eliza Dushku (aka Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), but it quickly earned "guilty pleasure" status as I found myself quoting the film time and time again. Thankfully, I have friends who totally get it so it's less a "guilty" pleasure for me. The characters are fun, the choreography is amazing, the dialogue is snappy and hilarious...

Torrance: Courtney, this is not a democracy, it's a cheerocracy. I'm sorry, but I'm overruling you.
Courtney: You are being a cheer-tator Torrance and a pain in my ass!

Sparky: I am a choreographer. That's what I do. You are cheerleaders. Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded. What you do is a tiny, pathetic subset of dancing. I will attempt to turn your robotic routines into poetry, written with the human body. Follow me, or perish, sweater monkeys.

Missy: What is your sexuality?
Les: Well, Jan's straight, and I'm... controversial.
Missy: Are you trying to tell me you speak fag?
Les: Oh, fluently.

Sparky: I want you to think of what you ate today. Got it? Now cut that in half, this is called a diet, people, everyone start one today! Darcy, you should stop eating. You see, when you skip a meal, your body feeds off its fat stores. And if you skip enough, maybe your body will eat your ass!

Most of the cheers performed in the film are also all pretty classic, from that bitching opening to the amazing final routines, to all of the U-G-L-Y/Brr it's cold in here cheers in between. Plus, where would pop culture be without the introduction of SPIRIT FINGERS? Let me tell you, nowhere.

Finally, give a listen to the great mix the Toros used for their final performance by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Second only to Mean Girls. We are so the same person sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!