Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Movie Meme: Day 04

"31 Day Movie Meme"


Day 04 | Movie that makes you laugh every time


Who knew that a movie based on a board game could be so much fun? Of course I'm talking about that 1985 cult classic Clue starring so many hilarious and talented actors such as Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, Eileen Brennan, Michael McKean, Martin Mill, and Lesley Ann Warren.

To anyone who has played the board game, the plot is simple. It's your run-of-the-mill murder mystery where everyone is a suspect and everyone is hiding secrets from everyone else. While there are some obvious gags in the film such as making out with a dead body or the unexpected shooting of a singing telegram girl, most of the humor in the film is quite understated. The outstanding script had everything from word play to sarcastic retorts, from witty one-liners to subtle winks on the game.

A great script, however, is only as good as the people who act and live in it and the casting for this movie was pitch perfect. Tim Curry is the standout since he's pretty much the backbone of the film. The spirited way he explained the different endings to the film alone is worth the price of admission.

It was difficult to pick quotes, because I pretty much wanted to quote the whole movie, but here are some good ones:

Colonel Mustard: Is this place for you?
Wadsworth: Indeed no, sir. I'm merely a humble butler.
Colonel Mustard: What exactly do you do?
Wadsworth: I buttle, sir.

Miss Scarlet: Maybe there is life after death.
Mrs. White: Life after death is as improbable as sex after marriage!

Wadsworth: The key is gone!
Professor Plum: Never mind about the key, unlock the door!
[smacks Mr.Green on the shoulder]
Mr. Green: [grabs Professor Plum by the collar, throttling him] I CAN'T UNLOCK THE DOOR WITHOUT THE KEY!
[releasing Plum, Mr. Green rattles doorknob]
Mr. Green: LET US IN! LET US IN!
Colonel Mustard, Miss Scarlet: [on other side of locked door] LET US OUT! LET US OUT!

Mrs. White: That's right, I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her... SO MUCH... it was flaming, flames, FLAMES... on the side of my face... heaving breaths, heaving...

Colonel Mustard: Wadsworth, am I right in thinking there's nobody else in this house?
Wadsworth: Um... no.
Colonel Mustard: Then there is someone else in this house?
Wadsworth: Sorry, I said "no" meaning "yes."
Colonel Mustard: "No" meaning "yes?" Look, I want a straight answer, is there someone else, or isn't there, yes, or no?
Wadsworth: No.
Colonel Mustard: No there is, or no there isn't?
Wadsworth: Yes.
Mrs. White: [shatters glass] PLEASE!
Colonel Mustard: [both insistent] Well, there is still some confusion as to whether or not there is anybody else in this house!
Wadsworth: I told you, there isn't.
Colonel Mustard: There isn't any confusion, or there isn't anybody else?
Wadsworth: Either! Or both.
Colonel Mustard: Just give me a clear answer!
Wadsworth: Certainly!
[clears throat]
Wadsworth: What was the question?
Colonel Mustard: [shouting] Is there anybody else in this house?
All: [shouting] No!

Confession time: This actually wasn't the first film I thought of when I saw what I had to write for today. I was thinking of writing it on Shaun of the Dead which is also hilarious (seriously, the scene where they pretended to be zombies KILLED ME), but I wanted to branch out a bit and talk about a film that hasn't come out the past 10 years or so. Variety is the spice of life!

4 comments:

  1. Effing LOVE that movie. I tried getting Falon into it, but she didn't see the humor. And when I saw your pick on Twitter, the first thing I thought was, "I buttle, sir."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. Great comedy and one of the best of the 80s. Tim Curry is great as is the rest of the cast. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always the flames. ALWAYS the flames.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ryan, so you're the guy who passed along the movie meme to Andrew :) I ended up participating in it, though not every day as I can't find the time. Haven't seen this movie, but Tim Curry is a great comedian along with most of them in the cast here. I'll definitely check it out one day.

    P.S. LOVE Shaun of the Dead. Looking forward to Pegg/Frost at it again in the upcoming comedy PAUL (which I blogged about it a while ago).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!