Saturday, August 28, 2010

Emmy Nominations and Predictions

I'm not dreading the Emmy awards as much as I tend to the past couple of years. Maybe it's because there were many good things to celebrate or maybe because a few people I like have already won an Emmy this year, but I feel oddly optimistic about this weekend, which of course means I'm ripe for a letdown, right? Oh well. Let's run down the big categories, shall we?


BEST DRAMA SERIES

Breaking Bad
Dexter
The Good Wife
Lost
Mad Men
True Blood

I honestly think that all of these shows, other than True Blood, have a very good chance at winning. Of course the front-runner, Mad Men, is still the one to beat winning the top prize few years straight now. But don't count out Lost and the possible sentimental votes it might receive to honor it for its final season. For me, I love all of the shows here that I watch (I haven't seen Breaking Bad), but I do want Lost to win.

Prediction: Mad Men

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Hugh Laurie, House
Matthew Fox, Lost
Jon Hamm, Mad Men

One of three men will get this award and I will be shocked if the results were any different. Last year's champion Bryan Cranston is the odds-on favorite, but the buzz for Michael C. Hall's performance as the affable serial killer has only grown louder especially with his recent real-life bout with cancer. And yet people are shocked, SHOCKED that Jon Hamm still doesn't have an Emmy for playing Don Draper. One of these days, he will. Will it be this year?

Prediction: Michael C. Hall

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Glenn Close, Damages
Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU
January Jones, Mad Men

Just give the award to Julianna Marguilies and stop pretending any of the others even have a chance. Okay, that's probably a little too hyperbolic, but she's very popular and her show has been a big hit this season. Of course Glenn Close and possibly Kyra Sedwick are still stiff competition, but the award will go to the good wife.

Prediction: Julianna Marguilies

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, DRAMA
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Martin Short, Damages
Terry O'Quinn, Lost
Michael Emerson, Lost
John Slattery, Mad Men
Andre Braugher, Men of a Certain Age

I've only seen about three of the performances here so I'm not really sure who is the front-runner and whatnot. If I had to guess, this is where the Academy will see fit to award Lost's final season and the slight edge is probably to Terry O'Quinn who had to juggle different versions of Locke. And yet, I'm just not sure. I hear buzz for Aaron Paul certainly, but just have a gut feeling for O'Quinn.

Prediction: Terry O'Quinn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, DRAMA
Sharon Gless, Burn Notice
Rose Byrne, Damages
Archie Panjani, The Good Wife
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men

The ladies of Mad Men will fight for the prize here. If you'd ask me a couple of weeks ago, I'd said Elisabeth Moss had this in the bag, but recently there's just been SO MUCH attention for Christina Hendricks that she may squeak out the win. Of course this is no slam-dunk especially with two Emmy veterans, Sharon Gless and Christine Baranksi, in the mix.

Prediction: Christina Hendricks


BEST COMEDY SERIES
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Glee
Modern Family
Nurse Jackie
The Office
30 Rock

Will 30 Rock finally be knocked off its thrown? This year, with these nominees, I think that's a safe bet. Everyone will be looking for the new breakout hits of the season, Glee and Modern Family. I will be shocked (and honestly confused) if neither one wins this award. I'd give the slight edge to Modern Family, but Glee is the "cool kid" on the block that everyone's talking about so... we'll see.

Prediction: Modern Family

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY
Jim Parsons, Big Bang Theory
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Matthew Morrison, Glee
Tony Shalhoub, Monk
Steve Carell, The Office
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock

While there may be some sentimental votes for Tony Shaloub, I think the rest is between Alec Baldwin and Jim Parsons. I said the same thing last year and I don't see any difference. Last year, Baldwin won, but I think Parsons may take it this year. Granted his show is not exactly loved by the Emmys as much as 30 Rock, but they must be tired giving it to Baldwin by now, right?

Prediction: Jim Parsons

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY
Lea Michele, Glee
Julia-Louis Dreyfus, New Adventures of Old Christine
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Toni Collette, United States of Tara

Last year Toni Collette won and she could very well repeat, but this is a tough field this year. For one, Emmy favorite Edie Falco is on the ballot as well as former-SNL funny ladies Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. Also don't underestimate the "cool new sexy kid on the block" aka Lea Michele.

Prediction: Edie Falco

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDY
Chris Colfer, Glee
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men

This is what you call a STACKED category. Other than Jon Cryer, I find it extremely distressing picking amongst the men nominated. Last year, I thought Neil Patrick Harris had the award locked up and he still ended up losing. This year, I don't believe he'll win, which is fine since he won his first two Emmy awards last week anyways. No, it will be between Chris Colfer and the men of Modern Family or more specifically Eric Stonestreet. If they want drama and headlines, they'll pick Colfer, but if they deem him too "new and young" Stonestreet. Of course if they do end up picking Cryer, it wouldn't surprise me one bit also. Lame ass voters.

Prediction: Eric Stonestreet

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDY
Jane Lynch, Glee
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Kristin Wiig, Saturday Night Live
Jane Krakowsky, 30 Rock
Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men

Is there really a more locked winner this year in any category, because even if you don't watch Glee, you know Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester is probably THE breakout character of the past season. It would be a HUGE SHOCKER if she doesn't end the night with the trophy.

Prediction: Jane Lynch

I don't really follow the lead-up to the Emmys as closely as I do the Academy Awards so these predictions have very little to do with much of anything except for what I said above. For all I know I could go 0 for 10 not I wouldn't bat an eye. Okay, maybe I'll be a little shocked since Jane Lynch is golden... GOLDEN (hope I didn't just jinx her!). And of course I'm sure the one year I don't predict Neil Patrick Harris, he'll certainly go 3 for 3 this year. Well, the best part is anticipation. One more day left until these predictions are either confirmed or denied.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking about skipping the Emmy's because I take things too personally and I really don't feel like seeing Michael C. Hall lose for a fourth time or Kyra Sedgwick lose for a (WTF) sixth time. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!