Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Movie Meme: Day 24

"31 Day Movie Meme"


Day 24 | Quote you use most often


"There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be." - Willy Wonka

The meme today is tricky since it specifically asked for movie quotes I use most often and not necessarily my favorite movie quotes, of which there are many. One example of those is the quote from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. But then are there really movie quotes that I actually use in casual conversations?

Sure, of course. The most recent example is probably the use of "lesbian" for "love" as in "I am in lesbian with you" from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I've been using that since I saw the film and until someone finds it offensive (is it really?), I'll continue using it.

I've also used "What's your damage?" which is apparently from the 1989 film Heathers, though I'm sure I picked it up via Cordelia Chase in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I often tell my friends that they're "harshing my mellow" which apparently originated from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which I've never seen. Other sources say it came from Encino Man which I did see, but that would be awfully random if I got it from there. Most likely, like the previous quote, I picked it up from TV.

A similar phrase I find myself saying is "damaging my calm" ala "She is starting to damage my calm" from Serenity. Of course there are the various sayings from that film/TV show such as "Shiny!" and "Gorram!"

Who doesn't find themselves in situations where an ironic "You complete me," a cheesy "You had me at hello" or an enthusiastic "Show me the money!" wouldn't work? Also, who knew Jerry Maguire was so damn quotable?

A few more phrases from films I find myself saying a lot include "Boo, you whore" from Mean Girls, "Why so serious?" from The Dark Knight, and "Fuck yeah!" from Team America. Though that last one is probably less because of the movie and more because I just like to curse. Speaking of, does anyone know if "Bitch, please" is from a movie, because I say that way too much.

2 comments:

  1. Harshing my mellow is from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG THANK YOU k2m2Y2! I was thinking it was from Fast Times, probably the surfer guy who was played by Sean Penn! I was worrying because I coudln't remember where I had first heard it and googling only produced "Encino Man" which I'm sure I haven't seen. I guess I would have eventually figured it out. It's scary getting old.

    And thanks for sharing the interesting and awesome Willy Wonka quote, Sortathatguy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!