Thursday, August 5, 2010

Movie Meme: Day 05

"31 Day Movie Meme"


Day 05 | Movie you loathe


Loathe is such a strong word. I don't think I've ever loathed a movie before. I've loathed plots, actors, concepts, execution... but it's rare for me to hate an entire movie. I've always tried to look for something positive in any film, which is why I can never be an actual film critic. Now there are plenty of movies that have left me cold, but isn't that the anti-thesis of the word "loathe" which conjures up a stronger, albeit also negative, reaction?

When I was about to give up, I finally thought of a movie I remembered really disliking. I saw it on a plane and usually when I see movies when I'm a mile high, I lower my standards. And yet even with my lowered standards, this movie made me think that jumping off the plane wouldn't have been such a bad idea.

That movie was The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Let me be clear. I'm not talking about the original and wonderful 1951 sci-fi classic film. I'm talking about the intensely painful 2008 remake starring Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly. While the casting of Reeves was a little bit genius, this movie is not worth anyone's time. I could talk about the godawful acting, the clunky plot, the lack of any real urgency, or the excruciating dialogue. But really I hate this film, because it tarnishes the memory of the original. And that's just unforgivable.

I implore everyone to take a pass on this completely unnecessary stinker and watch the original instead.

2 comments:

  1. Never seen it, and now I don't need to. Yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck you, Keanu Reeves. How'd you fuck up 'alien', anyway?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!