Friday, August 6, 2010

Movie Meme: Day 06

"31 Day Movie Meme"


Day 06 | Movie that makes you cry every time


Who knew that Focus Features produced so many tearjerkers? I didn't until I realized that the first three films that popped into my head for today's entry all came from that marvelous studio. Focus has yet to breakthrough Oscar-wise (no Best Picture winners) and box office-wise (no film has made more than $85 million), but damn they know how to deliver great movies, don't they?

With that said, the aforementioned "three films" are Brokeback Mountain, Atonement, and Milk. All of them contain love stories that ended in tragedy and for two of them, homophobia played a big part in those sad endings. Hopefully I'll get more of a chance to talk about Atonement and Brokeback Mountain this month, but my official pick for today is Milk.


“All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words.” - Harvey Milk

While it had the love story that the other films had, I ultimately chose Milk because of how the real and tragic events in the film had a very real impact in the world in which we live. The death of Harvey Milk was sad, but the outpouring of love and support that came right after his death with the candlelight vigil was one of the most powerful moments in cinema that drove me to tears. I was practically choking on them and trying not to hyperventilate.

The film also brings one to tears when one tries to reflect how far we've come since those days and then realize that despite that, there's still SO much work to be done. The fact that we're still fighting in 2010 for same-sex couples to get married is just so ridiculous. I want to cry just thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. I got this from the library, but didn't get to watch it before it was time to give it back. Now I very much regret not getting to it.

    Beautifully worded.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!