Monday, November 22, 2010

Whedon Out, Whit In for Buffy Movie

When I started this blog more than a year ago, my very first "real" entry was me reacting to the news of a possible film reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer happening without Joss Whedon's involvement. Basically I found it patently ridiculous. Since then, I had assumed no news was good news. I was wrong.

Seems like the project is full speed ahead especially since the project now has a writer and unfortunately her name is not Joss Whedon. The LA Times was the first to introduce us to 29-year-old actress-turned-screenwriter Whit Anderson who is a self-professed fan of Whedon's Buffy:

I didn’t really watch much television at all, but I always watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That was the one show I would watch when I got home. I just loved this character. I was the same age as Buffy, and it was so rare to have a female lead character on TV in those days who was strong and capable and smart but also allowed to be feminine.

So I suppose it's nice that she's at least a fan and I can't really blame her for getting every Buffy fan's dream job, but a Whedon-less Buffy is just wrong. And so far the reactions online have pretty much been the same as mine and if there's anything us Whedonites can be, it's INSANELY LOYAL and LOUD. So I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the script is finished, casting begins, etc.

For his part, Joss Whedon spoke to Kristin Dos Santos and gave his hilarious and totally classy take on today's news:

Kristin, I'm glad you asked for my thoughts on the announcement of Buffy the cinema film. This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself. Obviously I have strong, mixed emotions about something like this.

Head over to E! Online for Whedon's complete quote. It's most definitely worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Awww man. Why couldn't they just do an updated film version of Buffy with Whedon?? I am curious to see how this one turns out, but from what you've read so far, it's not looking good :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!