Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Whedonless Buffy? Craziness!

The rumors are swirling that my beloved Buffy the Vampire Slayer will be relaunched in movie form. At first I was excited. It was about damn time! But then when I read the article, I was shocked and perplexed, as I am sure a lot of people were to find out that this new movie will NOT involve Joss Whedon nor any of the original cast members of the TV show!

Now I can see why they might not want to include Willow, Xander, Giles et. al since getting all the principal actors together might be too difficult. Plus it's a reboot so it would make sense not to have these characters we've known and love. With that mindset, I can even see why they wouldn't want Sarah Michelle Gellar to play Buffy Summers since they would want to cast younger. While I would rather have a continuation of the series, I would relunctantly support this reboot, but ONLY if Joss Whedon is part of the project.

Face it, the original movie was campy and had as much substance as cotton candy. Joss Whedon took that movie and made TV gold. Without Joss Whedon, this new incarnation will fall flat in its face no less because Whedonites everywhere will be rioting, this blogger included.

I don't see why they can't take the world that Whedon created and just tell another story about another vampire slayer. Why Buffy? Why not work with Whedon? Why take a risk in alienating the fans who are still so enthrenched in the fandom?

You know I blame the success of Star Trek and The Dark Knight since now everyone is all about rebooting franchises. Now, I highly enjoyed both of those movies, but Hollywood, take a deep breathand evaluate. I also blame Twilight. It's all about vampires now. I say just go pop in DVDs of BtVS and Angel and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!