Thursday, January 20, 2011

GLAAD Media Award Nominees


GLAAD has recently announced its annual nominations for its GLAAD Media Awards. All of the nominees are said to promote "fair, accurate and inclusive representation of people and events in the media as a means of eliminating homophobia and discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation."

Outstanding Film - Wide Release
  • Burlesque
  • Easy A
  • The Girl Who Played with Fire
  • The Kids Are All Right
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Other than The Girl Who Played with Fire, I've seen all of these films and I see why GLAAD has nominated them. Though truly, the only film to have "LGBT issues" as part of its main story is The Kids Are All Right. That said, I'm loving how this includes two films in my own personal top ten list. So for the most part, I'm in lesbians with this list. Yes, I had to get that line in there somehow.

Oustanding Film - Limited Release
  • Howl
  • I Love You Phillip Morris
  • La Mission
  • Patrik, Age 1.5
  • Undertow

I haven't seen La Mission and Undertow, but respectable choices for the others. I wasn't that impressed by Howl, but I was pleasantly surprised by Phillip Morris and Patrik. The latter still brings a smile to my face when I think about it. Admittedly, these films are much "gayer" at least in terms of dealing with LGBT issues head on compared to their wide release counterparts. Because face it, no film is gayer than Burlesque this year.

Outstanding Documentary
  • 8: The Mormon Proposition
  • Edie & Thea: A Very Long Engagement
  • Prodigal Sons
  • Sylvester
  • Out. The Glenn Burke Story

Unfortunately I had not seen any of these, but I'm sure down the line I'll check them out. I've only seen a handful of documentaries this year, but I really should check out 8 at least. Haven't seen it, but for some reason I expected Joan River's film to show up here.

Outstanding Drama Series
  • Brothers & Sisters
  • Degrassi
  • Grey's Anatomy
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • True Blood

Nominating Pretty Little Liars, a not-bad-but-definitely-a-guilty-pleasure show, says to me they were scraping the barrel here. I mean yes, one of the characters is questioning, but the development regarding that storyline is snails-pace at best and forgotten at worst. I'd say the same regarding Grey's Anatomy, but Callie/Arizona seem to be ramping up now. I'd rather have something like The Good Wife here, if anything.

Outstanding Comedy Series
  • Glee
  • GREEK
  • Modern Family
  • Nurse Jackie
  • United States of Tara

I don't watch Nurse Jackie, but the other four shows were a nobrainer even though GREEK, while I really like the show, need to up its gay quotient just a tad more. Was Ugly Betty not eligible? It probably wasn't, but I was curious. Though Modern Family is the better show, I'm thinking Kurt's bully storyline will propel Glee to win here.

Outstanding Individual Episode
(in a series without a regular LGBT character)
  • "Escape From the Castle!" Bored to Death
  • "Innocence," Law & Order
  • "Klaus & Greta," 30 Rock
  • "Queen of Mean," Drop Dead Diva
  • "Samaritan," Law & Order: UK

The latter three episodes were the only ones that I've seen and I supposed if they were limiting this category to shows without a regular LGBT character, it's fine. Would've love to have seen a similar list for shows that do that LGBT characters though.

Outstanding Reality Program
  • The Fabulous Beekman Boys
  • Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys
  • Project Runway
  • Top Chef: Just Desserts
  • TRANSform Me

It's like all of the shows that my twitter friends talk about. Admittedly, I don't watch any of these shows though I have seen previous Project Runway seasons. Couldn't tell you which one deserves this award more. Anyone watch any of these care to tell me one way or another?

Outstanding Music Artist
(LGBT music artists who released an original album in 2010)
  • Antony and the Johnsons
  • Big Freedia
  • Chely Wright
  • Kele Okereke
  • Scissor Sisters

Not that I would nominate them myself personally, but were Adam Lambert or Ricky Martin not eligible? In any case, I wished there's a complete list of LGBT artists who released an album in 2010 so I can better judge if this shortlist is a good one or not.

There are plenty of other nominees/awards on GLAAD's website including nominees for Outstanding Talk Show Episode, TV Journalism, Newspaper Columnist, Magazine, Blog, Comic Book, Theater, and much more, so make sure to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!