Thursday, June 3, 2010

TV Meme: Day 03

"30 Days TV Meme"


Day 03 | Your favorite new show (aired this TV season)

This is a tough one, because this year I fell in love with a lot of shows. If you had asked me a couple months ago, my answer would probably be Modern Family or even Glee. Those are just two comedies that premiered this past season that have rejuvenated the genre. And while I still love them and completely in agreement with all of the accolades and buzz they've both been getting from the public, the media, and the industry at large, I want to spotlight another comedy that premiered this season, Community.

Back in December as I was making my list of favorite TV shows of the past year, Community only came in at #19 behind ALL of the other new comedies that I watched this season including the surprisingly charming Cougar Town and of course those two aforementioned shows above. But between then and the end of the season, something clicked. I can't put my finger on it, but I went from "I'll record the show tonight, but man I was expecting to like it more" to "I think I'll watch it live tonight!" to "Oh man this episode is freaking EPIC!" to "Is this the finale? It can't be the finale! I can't wait that long for a new episode!" Basically, Community has turned into a drug and I'm a junkie. I've become addicted to the show and its kooky ensemble and I'm currently having withdrawal pains.

Again, I wish I can tell you how that all happened. Maybe it took me awhile to get used to the off-the-wall characters and story lines. Or maybe the show did just get better as the season went on with all of the characters getting a bit more fleshed out and/or the cast was learning to be together as an ensemble. No matter what, as a group, I can't get enough of them. In the finale, when there was a chance that one of the person would leave the group, I couldn't take it. That's when I realized, I was hooked. They all just work together perfectly as an insanely dysfunctional study group. I mean with Jeff's egomania, Britta's not-so-alternative persona, Abed's pop culture mastery and his bro-tastic relationship with Troy, Annie's mousy girl next door persona, Shirley's Christian enthusiasm, and of course Pierce's bigoted cluelessness, there's just so much comedy left to cover.

So while I love the groundbreaking first season of Glee and the critically acclaimed debut of Modern Family, I just want to see the next new episode of Community. Like yesterday. Seriously, I need my fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!