Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pilot Thoughts: Revenge


ABC's new soapy TV show Revenge aired last night and I checked it out despite it not being on my list of new shows I was looking forward to. It just didn't seem like the kind of show that a) I would like or b) audiences would actually accept. Favorable buzz from critics, my generally good feelings for lead star Emily Van Camp, and the fact that nothing else was on convinced me to at least take a peek at the pilot. The ratings for the show were solid for the time slot and I actually liked it, too.

The plot is spelled out in its title as Emily Thorne (not her real name!) played by Van Camp gets herself ingratiated to the Hampton's social elite but only to better plan her vengeance over the Grayson family who ruined her dad and thus her and her family's life when she was younger. The matriarch of the family, nicknamed Queen Victoria, is juicily played by Madeleine Stowe and fierce doesn't begin to describe her. One of the most surprising thing about the show though is how much Van Camp lends herself to be the cold vengeance-minded lead character. I honestly didn't think she had it in her. I'm thinking the back-and-forth between these two ladies will be the highlight of the show and I can live with that.

That's not to say that the rest of the show isn't as engaging, but there's nothing too noteworthy about it. I did appreciate the fact that despite a flashforward prologue to begin the episode and all of the flashbacks throughout, the pilot never felt overstuffed or confusing. Though I do wish that it took itself just a little bit less seriously, but I see I'm definitely looking forward to this show now. Sad to say, but this is probably the show that Ringer wishes it was (despite me liking Ringer still). B/B+

2 comments:

  1. Unlike you, I have been eagerly awaiting the premiere of "Revenge," and it was definitely on my list. Normally I DVR anything after 10pm to watch the next day, but I decided to watch the first few minutes of the show and 20 minutes later realized that I was hooked!
    ABC generally does drama very well, and while the pilot was good, I'm not really sure how long this type of show can be dragged on...won't she soon run out of people's lives to ruin? I guess we'll have to see...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!