Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy Endings: "Blax, Snake, Home"


Unlike a lot of people who got into this show last year, I actually fell in love with it from the get go. Yes, its pilot episode was not its strongest outing, but the choice to show a second episode right after was the right one since that's when I knew this show had something special. The thing is, no one can seem to really pinpoint why this show just works. There are enough sitcoms that revolve around a group of adults in their late-20s/early-30s hanging out and doing stuff and this show is no different. Maybe it's the chemistry of the cast or the witty writing, but I'd rather not analyze a gift horse. All I know is I couldn't stop smiling and/or laughing from beginning to end last night.

It's difficult to pick a favorite moment from last night's season 2 premiere. The hilarious cold open with the gang in the honeymoon suite with Brad getting stabbed, Dave and Jane having allergic reactions, Max and Alex freaking out, and Penny saving the day set the tone for the rest of the episode. The continuing saga of Brad and Max negotiating their African American and gay identities respectively with each other was also a highlight for me since it's done in such a harmless and fun way. Penny's fear of becoming a spinster was also gold, but that's because Casey Wilson is just A-MAH-ZING as Penny. Even the weak links of Dave and Alex worked last night since I found their annoying quirks quite funny. Alex's hula hoop dance made me snort louder than it probably should have.

Basically, I'm very happy to have this show back. Is it crazy and messy? Possibly, but like I said on twitter last night, this show is like a piñata filled with candy and crack and I'm sticking by that assessment. A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!