Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pilot Thoughts: Person of Interest, A Gifted Man, & Suburgatory


Catching up on the last few pilots I've seen this month. After today though, the next new shows aren't debuting until sometime in October.

Person of Interest - This show has a lot going for it. It's created by Jonathan Nolan and produced by J.J. Abrams as well as stars Michael Emerson and Taraji P. Henson. Unfortunately I found the setup just a tad less ridiculous than the Loom of Fate in the film Wanted. The way Finch (Emerson) and John (Jim Caviezel) started working together felt a bit clunky as well. I may continue watching, but the pilot really needed to blow me away for me to make a commitment to a show that's on a VERY busy night. It just didn't hold my attention enough. B-

A Gifted Man - Like the show above, there are reasons to see it. For this one, the cast is aces. Patrick Wilson plays Michael Holt, a very rich and successful doctor who sees his dead wife (Jennifer Ehle) who then proceeds to change his life by showing him what's most important. It's very Ghost Whisperer meets Ghost meets Everwood. I'm not sure that's a combination I personally like yet, but Margo Martindale (as Michael's no nonsense secretary) and Julie Benz (as Michael's sister) in the supporting cast make me smile. B-/B

Suburgatory - Another point for the two shows above is that they take place in New York City and uses the city well. This show starts of in the city, but then moves to its real home in the scary world of the suburbs. As expected hilarity ensues as the Shay father-daughter duo played by Jane Levy and Jeremy Sisto tries to navigate the mall moms, the fake tans, and the energy drinks. Here's the thing, it's really funny and probably my favorite comedy pilot this season. I love me some good suburban satire a tad reminiscent of the first season of Desperate Housewives. Also, I'm already looking forward to the great supporting cast--Alan Tudyk, Ana Gasteyer, and Cheryl Hines. B+/A-

1 comment:

  1. Now that your TV pilot reviews for Person of Interest, A Gifted Man and Suburgatory are 2 years old, would you care to revisit them?

    Personally I found Suburgatory unwatchable, A Gifted Man absurd, and only Person of Interest interesting enough for me to keep watching until I learned the "back story".

    I found your site by googling Person of Interest and Wanted together, to see what came up....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!