Thursday, December 3, 2009

Adieu Amelie

Former world no. 1 Amelie Mauresmo announced today that she would be retiring from professional tennis. Suffice it to say, it wasn't totally unexpectedly, but it's still incredibly sad to lose a player with so much class and grace both on and off the court.

“I don’t want to train anymore. [...] I had to make a decision, which became evident in the last few months and weeks. When you grew older, it’s more difficult to stay at the top. [...] It’s a bit sad, but this is the right decision. I was lucky enough to have an exceptional career and to experience very strong feelings on the court. [...] I dreamt of this career, I dreamt of winning a Grand Slam title. I lifted trophies in every city in the world and I lived 10 magical and unbelievable years."

The two-time Grand Slam champion finished 2009 ranked #21. She amassed 25 titles in her career including the 2006 Australian Open and Wimbledon Championships, both over Justine Henin in the finals, to claim her two major wins. The final match of her career took place at this year's US Open when she lost in the second round to Alksandra Wozniak 4-6, 0-6. I was fortunate enough to see Mauresmo's final match win in the first round at this year's US Open. She will be sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!