Tuesday, December 27, 2011

End-Of-Year: 2011 TV Nominees


I watch a lot of TV. Some would say too much TV, but that just makes it all the more difficult to determine my favorites of the past year. Like last year, I found it most difficult to narrow down the supporting categories since there have been some truly noteworthy performances even in not so special shows. In any case, I've generally made peace with this list so before I start over-thinking it all over again, here are my nominations...

Best Show, Drama
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Fringe
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Homeland

Best Show, Comedy
Community
Cougar Town
Doctor Who
Happy Endings
How I Met Your Mother
Parks and Recreation

Best New Show
Game of Thrones
Happy Endings
Homeland
Revenge
Shameless
Wilfred

Best Ensemble
Breaking Bad
Parks and Recreation
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Downton Abbey
Community

Best Actor, Drama
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Damian Lewis, Homeland
Aidan Turner, Being Human
Ben Whishaw, The Hour

Best Actor, Comedy
Steve Carell, The Office
Nathan Fillion, Castle
Joel McHale, Community
Jim Parsons, Big Bang Theory
Matt Smith, Doctor Who
Elijah Wood, Wilfred

Best Actress, Drama
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Claire Danes, Homeland
Romolai Garai, The Hour
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Emmy Rossum, Shameless
Anna Torv, Fringe

Best Actress, Comedy
Beth Behrs, 2 Broke Girls
Toni Collette, United States of Tara
Courtney Cox, Cougar Town
Karen Gillan, Doctor Who
Jane Levy, Suburgatory
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

Best Supporting Actor, Drama
Alan Cummings, The Good Wife
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
John Noble, Fringe
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Norman Reedus, The Walking Dead
Brent Sexton, The Killing

Best Supporting Actor, Comedy
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Arthur Darvill, Doctor Who
Jim Rash, Community
Adam Scott, Parks and Recreation
Eddie Izzard, United States of Tara
Jason Segel, How I Met Your Mother

Best Supporting Actress, Drama
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Joan Cusack, Shameless
Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife
Madeleine Stowe, Revenge
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Karine Vanesse, Pan Am

Best Supporting Actress, Comedy
Eliza Coupe, Happy Endings
Mayim Bialik, Big Bang Theory
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Busy Phillips, Cougar Town
Naya Rivera, Glee
Cobie Smulders, How I Met Your Mother

Best Limited Role, Actor
Misha Collins, Supernatural
Mos Def, Dexter
Zach Gilford, Friday Night Lights
Mark Margolis, Breaking Bad
Zachary Quinto, American Horror Story
Craig Roberts, Being Human

Best Limited Role, Actress
Kehinde Fadipe, Misfits
Dot-Marie Jones, Glee
Suranne Jones, Doctor Who
Carrie Preston, The Good Wife
Anika Noni Rose, The Good Wife
Jessica Tuck, True Blood

Nomination Tally: 7 - The Good Wife; 5 - Breaking Bad, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones; 4 - Community, Downton Abbey, Homeland, Parks and Recreation; 3 - Cougar Town, Fringe, Happy Endings, How I Met Your Mother, Shameless; 2 - Being Human, Big Bang Theory, Dexter, Friday Night Light, Glee, The Hour, Modern Family, Revenge, United States of Tara, Wilfred; 1 - American Horror Story, Castle, The Killing, Misfits, The Office, Pan Am, Suburgatory, Supernatural, True Blood, 2 Broke Girls, Walking Dead

With all of the extra categories and opening myself up to six nominations per category, I was able to honor 34 different shows and 60 performances. What can I say? I'm the "everyone gets a trophy" kind of guy. With that said, I will pick out a winner for each. Probably tomorrow or the day after. Soon after that, I'll post my ranked list of my favorite TV shows of the year, but it's also quite evident which shows those will be with these nominations.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that there is no mention of American Horror Story. And I personally think that Fringe has jumped the shark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michael - Not totally true! I cited Zachary Quinto's performance on the show! Not really a fan of the show in general though. And I love Fringe, foibles and all. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!