Thursday, December 8, 2011

Daniel Radcliffe: Entertainer and Hero


It wasn't really surprising that Entertainment Weekly, which has shown much love to the Harry Potter series from the very beginning, awarded this year's Entertainer of the Year Award to the man himself, Daniel Radcliffe. The final film after all was released this year and made over $1 billion worldwide. Now he may not get nominated for an Oscar, he shouldn't, but I still thought he delivered a relatively great performance this year as the bespectacled not-so-young-anymore wizard.

Of course, he has been doing double duty all year trying to juggle the appearances and promotions for the final film with his leading role in Broadway's How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying alongside Tony winner John Larroquette. While Radcliffe was passed over (yet again) for a Tony nomination, he delivered one of the more impressive numbers at this year's ceremony, which is saying a lot considering the talents that were on that stage that night.

All of that makes Entertainment Weekly's choice almost a no-brainer, but I also hope they took into account Radcliffe's unending and inspiring work with The Trevor Project. He was even awarded The Trevor Hero Award earlier this year. Watch his acceptance speech after the cut, but here's an excerpt from the speech:

Go boldly and honestly through the world. Learn to love the fact that there's nobody else quite like you. And you will be, to plagiarize and paraphrase all at once, the heroes of your own lives. I thank The Trevor Project for this amazing award. Out of everything I've done, I can truly say the thing I'm proudest of is my association with Trevor. It is an outstanding organization which saves lives everyday and I look forward to helping it in any way I can for the rest of my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!