Wednesday, June 15, 2011

TCA Awards Nominations

Earlier this week, the Television Critics Association (TCA) picked their nominations singling out the best of TV during the past year. This is not to be confused by the Broadcast Television Journalists Association who came out with their nominations just a week ago. The TCA's nominees are below...

Program of the Year
Boardwalk Empire
Friday Night Lights
Game of Thrones
Justified
Parks and Recreation

I don't watch Boardwalk Empire or Justified so who knows if they deserve to be here, but I'm definitely rooting for Parks & Rec. Now, I like Friday Night Lights, but its final season was a bit hit and miss for me. And Game of Thrones is good, but "program of the year" good? Personally I'd put The Good Wife or Fringe up instead. Speaking of the latter, Fringe was snubbed in all categories which means the TCA do not want enough TV.

Outstanding Achievement in Drama
Friday Night Lights
Game of Thrones
Justified
Mad Men
The Good Wife

Still no Fringe which is just really frustrating, especially since it's not going to be nominated for an Emmy anytime soon, so throw the show a bone here! But really the shows they've picked aren't terrible at all. They did include Mad Men and The Good Wife so that's something. I'll be rooting for the latter to win.

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy
Community
Louie
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation
Raising Hope

It's a bit sad that Glee couldn't even muster a showing here, but I definitely agree that it did NOT deserve it this year, so I'm good. I don't watch Louie, but I've heard good stuff and I'd only be tempted to replace it with How I Met Your Mother, which didn't have a great season. Parks & Rec for the win!

Individual Achievement in Drama
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Margo Martindale, Justified
Timothy Olyphant, Justified

Happy to see Hamm and Marguilies expectantly make it in though I feel for Elisabeth Moss or Alan Cumming in their respective shows since they totally deserve to be nominated as well. Great showing for Peter Dinklage being singled out from his huge ensemble. Again, I'm pissed off at the Fringe snubs since John Noble and Anna Torv were truly MVPs this season. I also expected Michelle Forbes from The Killing to make it. Dinklage winning would be awesome.

Individual Achievement in Comedy
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Louis C.K., Louis
Nick Offerman, Parks and Recreation
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Danny Pudi, Community
Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

I pretty much agree with the picks. I'm especially tickled with Offerman and Pudi's very well-deserved nominations. You could've nominated every single person in Modern Family (and Parks & Rec), so it's sad not more were able to be recognized. A bit shocked not to see Martha Plimpton here for Raising Hope especially since her show was nominated. I also thought that Chris Colfer or Jim Parsons might make it in. My pick to win would either be Burrell or Poehler.

Outstanding New Program
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Terriers
The Killing
Walking Dead

All of these show aren't on broadcast TV! HOW SHOCKED AM I? Not at all really since all of the great new shows premiered on cable or premium TV this year. Such a sad state of affairs for broadcast TV. Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones will win. I'm not really rooting for any show here.

Outstanding Achievement in News and Information
If God Is Willing and Da Creek Don’t Rise
Restrepo
60 Minutes
The Rachel Maddow Show
30 for 30

Go Rachel Maddow! Though I heard good stuff regarding Restrepo and 30 for 30.

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming
Amazing Race
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations
Survivor
The Voice
Top Chef: All Stars

Where's Jersey Shore?! I demand a recount. Just kidding, I've never actually seen an episode of the dreck. I only watch one show here and so I'm rooting for Amazing Race to win. Though I'm sure it's been nominated and won before. Oh well.

Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming
A Children’s Garden of Poetry
iCarly
Nick News with Linda Ellerbee
R.L. Stine’s The Haunting Hour
Sesame Street
Yo Gabba Gabba

Surprisingly, I have no comment. Except to muse how upset Dora and Spongebob are. They're both probably knocking back a few to drown out the disappointment.

Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials
Cineme Verite
Downton Abbey: Masterpiece
Mildred Pierce
Sherlock: Masterpiece
Too Big to Fail

I've only seen three and I'm probably slightly rooting for Sherlock over Downtown Abbey, but either one would be a worthy winner. The other film I saw was Mildred Pierce and actually I didn't finish watching it.

Career Achievement Award
Steven Bochco
Dick Ebersol
Cloris Leachman
David Letterman
William Shatner
Oprah Winfrey

Is there really a scenario in which Oprah Winfrey doesn't win this award? I mean really now.

Heritage Award
All in the Family
Freaks and Geeks
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Twin Peaks

What an interesting mixture of shows! I have no idea who would be the frontrunner in such a list, but they all damn deserve it. I'm slightly hoping for Freaks and Geeks to win for obvious reasons (aka I grew up with it), but it's probably the one that's least likely to, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!