Monday, June 27, 2011

Belated Thoughts on Who, Thrones, & Tara, Plus True Blood Premiere

I've been meaning to write about recent TV I've been watching, but the longer it takes me, the harder it will be to actually do it, so I'll just dive in with a few quick words.

Doctor Who - Really enjoyed the first half of the season, mostly because of the increased involvement of Arthur Darvill as Rory Williams. Moffatt though is really pushing the limits on... well everything. The audience rarely knows which way is up, down, present, past, future, real, imaginary. It might get annoying to some, but I'm enjoying the ride. My favorite episode was "The Doctor's Wife" just because it was so damn beautiful and really got to the heart of the show. Finally, River Song is WHO NOW?! I can't wait to see what happens with that in the second half.


Game of Thrones
- It started out a bit slowly and lord knows I still have no idea who half the characters are and yet I love it. It's quite epic for sure, but it's the smaller, human moments that keep me coming back. My favorite characters are the "outcasts" aka Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Arya Stark, and Tyrion Lannister. You know how I know they're my favorites? I wrote their names without the help of the internet. The next installment won't be until Spring 2012 and I'm almost tempted to read the books these are based on, but I don't think I will.


United States of Tara
- I never really LOVED this show even though I loved elements of it like the tour de force performance of Toni Collette or Marshall's evolution, but when we found out this season was its last, I started to really miss them all. The Bryce storyline this season was seriously dark and brilliant handled by Collette. And while the finale dealt with Bryce in a bit of a deus ex machina way, I was fine with that since I needed the finale to focus in on the family again, which it did. The ending wasn't writted as a series finale, but it worked very well as one. There isn't really a happy ending for Tara with her condition, but there'll certainly be happier times ahead.

True Blood - The premiere was last night and it was as crazy as I've come to expect from the show. It was a bit of a scattered episodes, but I guess it was necessary to introduce all of the new stories for this season as well as to catch up "a year later" which is how long Sookie had been gone. I really was caught off-guard by many things (Fairies are bad! Tara likes vagina! Eric owns Sookie's house! Bill is King!) so I give them props for all of those. Hopefully the rest of the season isn't as disjointed as the premiere though. And for the love of Godric, can someone tell Jason to take off his shirt at least once per episode?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!