Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hurt in the Moon Loop Performances


This past week, I finally got a chance to see three films I really wanted to see that I missed the past year. All three were quite good and will most likely make my Top 25 or so films of 2009, but since I already gave out my acting prizes nearly two weeks ago, I just wanted to spotlight a few performances that would've made my shortlist.

Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker - He's not exactly a likable character, but his character's quiet strength complementing his character's outward bravado makes his absolutely fascinating to watch.

Sam Rockwell, Moon - Never mind that he had to play two different versions of himself, but to do so while also basically acting without the benefit of another actor to bounce off on. Very difficult thing to do, but he did it with ease.

Peter Capaldi, In the Loop - Maybe it's because I love the age-old stuffy British man spewing loads of curse words archetype, but Capaldi went above and beyond.

Mimi Kennedy, In the Loop - Her role was subtler than Capaldi, but equally entertaining to watch. She doesn't exactly play the straight woman to all the other insane characters, but she definitely maintains the best balance between absurdity and reality.

And speaking of In the Loop, the film definitely would've been nominated for Best Ensemble and could very well have won over Star Trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!