Sunday, February 12, 2012

RIP Whitney Houston (1963-2012)


Whitney Houston died at the age of 48 yesterday on the eve of music's biggest night, the Grammys, which will surely be retooled to pay tribute to the 6-time Grammy winner and most definitely one of music's biggest icons. Her star was never brighter than it was during the 80s and 90s with numerous number one hits and a couple of blockbuster films. Born in Newark, New Jersey and discovered by Clive Davis in a New York City nightclub, Houston went on to have a truly legendary career that was prematurely halted by her problems with substance abuse. While the cause of her death is unknown as of this moment, it's likely her struggles with drugs and alcohol may have just been too much in the end.

Dolly Parton, writer of Houston's most popular song "I Will Always Love You," said it best in her reaction to the late singer's passing:
Mine is only one of the millions of hearts broken over the death of Whitney Houston. I will always be grateful and in awe of the wonderful performance she did on my song and I can truly say from the bottom of my heart, "Whitney, I will always love you. You will be missed."


The video above is the music video for "Count On Me," a less popular song by Whitney Houston which nevertheless is definitely one of my favorite tunes sung by her. Listening to it now, of course, my heart breaks all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!