Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pilot Thoughts: The Mindy Project


I've seen the pilot episode of The Mindy Project twice, once over the summer when they previewed it online and this past week when it had its actual premiere. Not surprisingly then, it's probably my favorite pilot of the season so far (though I know that's not saying much). I think most of that has to do with the show's confidence on its concept and main character that the other pilots I've seen don't quite have yet. I suppose it helps that creator/writer Mindy Kaling is also playing the main character, Mindy Lahiri, an OB/GYN doctor who is obsessed with romantic comedies and finding The One so her singular vision is carried through throughout. For example, I'm thinking about that scene with her character crying in the pool after a talking doll puts her down. It's one of my favorite scenes in the pilot and I'm just not sure that scene would've made it in if the higher-ups didn't trust Kaling's judgment. Of course if you're not a fan of Kaling and her brand of comedy, this will not be a show for you. Fortunately for me, it is and thus I'll be tuning in weekly. It's also a great opportunity to see Anna Camp and Chris Messina weekly with the former playing her best friend and the latter playing The One who right now though is playing The One Jerk Who Antagonizes The Main Character But Deep Down Respects and Loves Her. It's a well-worn trope, but let's see what Kaling does with it. B+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!