Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Birthday Boy: Jim Carrey


Jim Carrey celebrates his 50th birthday today. He shares his birthday with Betty White, Zooey Deschanel, and Michelle Obama. All of those three ladies at one point or another trended on twitter the past 24 hours. For White, she even had an NBC special to celebrate her birthday yesterday. But this birthday post is dedicated to Jim Carrey who has been working dilligently for the past three decades.

My very first Jim Carrey film was The Mask coming out at just the right age where I found its high energy camp the best thing ever. The most recent film I've seen of his was last year's I Love You Phillip Morris which was a great effort that has sadly gone quite under-appreciated. Both of these performances would probably crack my top 5 list of his performances, but then again I've only seen 9 of his films.


Of course my top two favorite Jim Carrey performances are also in two of my favorite films of all time--The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I will forever be flummoxed at the fact that neither of those netted him an Oscar nomination, though thankfully he did grab Golden Globe nominations for both and even a win for The Truman Show. That latter award is especially heartening as he was absolutely perfect in that film. His other Globe-winning role was for Man on the Moon which I have sadly not yet seen.

His next project reunites him with his Bruce Almighty co-star Steve Carrell in Burt Wonderstone where both will playing dueling magicians. I doubt it'll net him his first Oscar nomination, but that boat seems to have sailed. But Happy Birthday to you, Jim Carrey!

1 comment:

  1. That doesn't look like a picture of him but more a really well done portrait. Kinda cool

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!