Thursday, August 18, 2011

Poster Musings: Apes Will Rise and Main Street


As I was browsing IMP Awards, this set of posters for The Rise of the Planet of the Apes caught my attention. These Banksy-inspired one sheets have some great touches such as the decision to focus on the film's strong tagline "Evolution Becomes Revolution" over its awkwardly long title and a simple hashtag that subtly convey a call to action.

I can't really confirm the officialness of these posters, but if the studio did have them commissioned for the marketing of the film, then the film has yet again pleasantly surprised me.

On the other hand, there's this other poster that caught my attention in a very negative way. I actually saw the trailer for Main Street a couple weeks ago and it looked okay enough with a cast that I mostly liked. I'll still probably see it just to see Orlando Bloom do a Southern accent. But this poster is absolutely horrendous. It's just so very... white and I'm NOT talking about the cast. Are they all dead? Is this purgatory? Why do they guys seem to be marching? Why do the females look like ghosts? And with so much room on top, is there any reason why Patricia Clarkson's name is nesting right on top of Colin Firth's head? Lordy, no.

3 comments:

  1. Two times in two days I see you mention Orlando Bloom. Why? (Not that I'm complaining, against my better judgement I like the guy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andrew - To make a long story short, I'm a wee bit obsessed with him. Or I was and it never really went away even though it totally should have by now! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are? Well, that's news to me. It could be worse. He is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!