Sunday, August 7, 2011

Centennial: Lucille Ball


Even though it's already a couple of hours past midnight, I would be remiss in not posting about the centennial of the inimitable and supremely talented Lucille Ball. And after all, while she was born in Jamestown, New York, she spent most of her adult life and saw most of her professional success in sunny California and it's still yesterday over there!

Ball was of course more famously known the world over as Lucy Ricardo, her character in one of the greatest television series of all time, I Love Lucy, but she's done it all. For five decades, she appeared in tons of films and TV shows as well as done some radio and Broadway work early in her career. With that said, I've sadly never seen any of them with the exception of I Love Lucy. Still, with that show and her co-founding Desilu Productions with her then husband Desi Arnaz, she has more than made her mark in the world of entertainment.

Last year, I posted about the Vitameatavegamin episode of I Love Lucy saying that it probably contained "the funniest sketch in the history of television" and I stand by that assertion. Google very recently honored her by devoting a doodle to celebrate her centennial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!