Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Personal Oscar Ballot

Happy Oscar Day! I already posted my predictions a couple days ago, but here is my personal Oscar ballot i.e. the films/performances I would have voted for if I was an Academy member. It's pretty much my "should win" list.

Note: For Best Picture, Academy voters are asked to rank their choices from 1 to 9. For the other categories, they are only asked to pick their choice of winner.

Best Picture
1 - Gravity
2 - Her
3 - 12 Years a Slave
4 - The Wolf of Wall Street
5 - Captain Phillips
6 - Dallas Buyers Club
7 - American Hustle
8 - Nebraska
9 - Philomena

Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity
Best Lead Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Best Lead Actress: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Best Supporting Actor: Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
Best Original Screenplay: Her
Best Adapted Screenplay: Before Midnight
Best Animated Film: Frozen
Best Foreign Language Film: The Broken Circle Breakdown
Best Documentary: 20 Feet From Stardom
Best Original Score: Her
Best Original Song: "Let it Go," Frozen
Best Editing: Gravity
Best Production Design: Her
Best Cinematography: Inside Llewyn Davis
Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby
Best Makeup and Hair: Dallas Buyers Club
Best Sound Editing: Gravity
Best Sound Mixing: Inside Llewyn Davis
Best Visual Effects: Gravity
Best Documentary Short: The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life
Best Animated Short: Mr. Hublot
Best Live Action Short: Avant De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)

My top pick would be Gravity leading with 5 wins including Picture and Director followed closely by my next two favorite Best Picture films, Her and 12 Years a Slave, with 3 wins a piece. Unexpectedly enough 12 Years almost swept the acting races for me. The two other films which got more than one win are Frozen and Inside Llewyn Davis winning in the only categories they were nominated for. Before Midnight got my pick for Adapted Screenplay and I really, really want it to win. Sadly I'm pretty sure my personal ballot, save for only a handful and mostly Gravity wins, won't be reflected much in the final result, but a boy can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!