Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cruel Intentions Turns 15


With all the films I've seen, it's pretty much impossible for me to have a number one film of all time. But if you had asked me what it was back in 1999 then I would've said Cruel Intentions without any hesitation. If you didn't already know, the film is a modern re-telling of Les Liaisons Dangereuses with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe playing a couple of rich Manhattanites who also happen to be step-siblings. They play a twisted game of manipulation and seduction on everyone including each other.

Well the movie turns 15 today so to celebrate my one-time number one film of all time, here are 10 random things I remember loving about it (and I have the worst memory so this is going to not be as comprehensive as I would have liked):

1. Sarah Michelle Gellar as a brunette. I mean I had always known her as Buffy Summers. Suddenly with dark hair she was a completely different, but equally awesome, character. Her Kathryn Merteuil remains one of my favorite movie villains.


2. Joshua Jackson as an adorable gay blond boy. Same as above except Pacey Witter went blond and had sex with guys. I could've watched a whole movie with him. Also, I would never think of "HOOVER" the same way ever again.

3. Ryan Phillippe's butt. The whole film was quite formative, but this scene in particular made me realize I preferred certain kinds of people over others. Ryan is still hot, but Sebastian was my ideal movie boyfriend. I know I have issues.


4. Reese Witherspoon's demon face. Though they're no longer together, I like to imagine that she makes this same face whenever she sees Ryan.

5. That kick-ass cross pendant. I want one. I probably wouldn't put coke in mine. Maybe chocolate.


6. "Colorblind" by the Counting Crows. Yeah, that music always, always reminds me of that airport scene. Also... sex. Hot, hot sex.

7. Christine Baranski as Bunny Caldwell.
Okay, I actually don't remember her much, which is a crime into itself, but I bet she was fantastic. And all the other random people in the film. Eric Mabius as a hot closeted jock! Swoosie Kurtz as Sebastian's therapist! Sean Patrick Thomas as the sexy violin teacher!

8. Kathryn on top of Sebastian. And sexually teasing him as if his life depended on it. Then she takes it all away. "Down boy."

9. That kiss. You know the one. It was hot and uncomfortable and sexy and terrible and hilarious and disgusting all at the same time.


10. "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by The Verve . Great final song to end the film. Plus if you were a certain age at the time, that song was everything. Plus Reese looked pretty bad ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!