Saturday, February 23, 2013

My Personal Oscar Ballot

Now that I've finally finished my yearly film rankings, I can finally debut my personal Oscar ballot i.e. the films/performances I would vote for if I was an Academy member. A boy can dream, can't he? Note that these are different from my predictions, which can be found here.

Note: For Best Picture, Academy voters are asked to rank their choices from 1 to 9. For the other categories, they are only asked to pick their choice of winner.

Best Picture
1 - Argo
2 - Life of Pi
3 - Zero Dark Thirty
4 - Beasts of the Southern Wild
5 - Les Misérables
6 - Lincoln
7 - Silver Linings Playbook
8 - Amour
9 - Django Unchained

Best Director: Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Best Lead Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Best Lead Actress: Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Best Animated Film: ParaNorman
Best Original Screenplay: Moonrise Kingdom
Best Adapted Screenplay: Argo
Best Foreign Language Film: Amour
Best Original Score: Anna Karenina
Best Original Song: "Pi's Lullaby," Life of Pi
Best Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
Best Production Design: Anna Karenina
Best Cinematography: Skyfall
Best Costume Design: Anna Karenina
Best Makeup and Hair: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Best Documentary: Searching for Sugar Man
Best Documentary Short: Innocente
Best Animated Short: Paperman
Best Live Action Short: Curfew
Best Sound Editing: Life of Pi
Best Sound Mixing: Argo
Best Visual Effects: The Avengers

My top two favorite Best Picture nominees (and amongst my top 4 films of the year) Argo and Life of Pi both come out on top with 3 wins a piece with both films splitting the Picture-Director categories. Anna Karenina also got 3 wins from me, all in technical categories. The only other film to get more than one win is Amour taking Foreign Language and Actress. For the most part, however, I spread the wealth around especially in those acting categories. Now, you might be wondering why I didn't vote for Adele's Skyfall song. Love her and the film, but I'm just not a fan of the soon-to-be Oscar-winning song. And even though Life of Pi's visual effects are better and SHOULD win, I couldn't not give one of Joss Whedon's films a freaking Oscar! Hello, do you know me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!