Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Oscar Predictions


While I'm not ready yet to post my own personal ballot, I am ready to make my predictions. Now, this year is probably trickier than most, because even though there are real favorites in most categories, the past awards season has been just wacky enough to sprinkle doubt in almost every single category. So I fully expect my 60-70% prediction rate to go down this year. C'est la vie!

Best Picture: Argo
Best Director: Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Best Lead Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Best Lead Actress: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Best Animated Film: Brave
Best Original Screenplay: Zero Dark Thirty
Best Adapted Screenplay: Argo
Best Foreign Language Film: Amour
Best Original Score: Argo
Best Original Song: "Skyfall," Skyfall
Best Editing: Argo
Best Production Design: Life of Pi
Best Cinematography: Skyfall
Best Costume Design: Anna Karenina
Best Makeup and Hair: Les Misérables
Best Documentary: Searching for Sugar Man
Best Documentary Short: Innocente
Best Animated Short: Paperman
Best Live Action Short: Buzkashi Boys
Best Sound Editing: Skyfall
Best Sound Mixing: Les Misérables
Best Visual Effects: Life of Pi

Tally: 4 - Argo; 3 - Life of Pi, Les Misérables, Skyfall; 2 - Lincoln; 1 - Silver Linings Playbook, Brave, Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, Anna Karenina, Searching for Sugar Man, Innocente, Paperman, Buzkashi Boys

Clearly I didn't exactly go out on a limb in my predictions. Most evident of that is me picking all of the SAG winners to repeat at the Oscars. Of course, Argo could always sweep, but I don't think it's that kind of year. I have seen the live action and animated shorts this year so I'm not exactly going in blind with those predictions, but the hell if I know how exactly people vote for these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!