Wednesday, February 6, 2013

End-Of-Year: 2012 Film Nominees


The year 2013 is already more than a month old and I'm still talking about 2012, but everyone knows the film year doesn't really end until the Oscars which is a little less than three weeks away. Hope to talk about my personal favorite films and performances until then beginning with my own nominations below.

Now, I see lots of films in a given year, probably upwards to 150 or more, but my year-end awards are only for those films released theatrically in 2012. This year my tally is 95 films, which is a bit below last year's tally. I mostly saw all of the films I had wanted to see, including all of this year's Best Picture nominees. A few notable exceptions include Flight, Bernie, On the Road, End of Watch, Middle of Nowhere, Promised Land, Rust and Bone, This is 40, and The Sessions. I know, I'm such a slacker! Oh well, on to the nominations:

Best Film
Anna Karenina
Argo
The Avengers
The Cabin in the Woods
Chronicle
Life of Pi
Looper
ParaNorman
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Dane DeHaan, Chronicle
Logan Lerman, Perks of Being a Wallflower
Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Suraj Sharma, Life of Pi

Best Actress
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Keira Knightley, Anna Karenina
Jennifer Lawrence, Hunger Games/Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Naomi Watts, The Impossible
Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Smashed

Best Supporting Actor
Javier Barden, Skyfall
Mark Duplass, Safety Not Guaranteed/Your Sister's Sister
Tom Holland, The Impossible
Fran Kranz, Cabin in the Woods
Ezra Miller, Perks of Being a Wallflower
Eddie Redmayne, Les Misérables

Best Supporting Actress
Elizabeth Banks, Hunger Games/People Like Us
Emily Blunt, Looper/Your Sister's Sister
Anne Hathaway, Dark Knight Rises/Les Misérables
Scarlett Johansson, The Avengers
Nicole Kidman, Paperboy
Rebel Wilson, Pitch Perfect/Bachelorette

Best Young Actor/Actress
Jared Gilman, Moonrise Kingdom
Tom Holland, The Impossible
Logan Lerman, Perks of Being a Wallflower
Ezra Miller, Perks of Being a Wallflower
Suraj Sharma, Life of Pi
Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Ensemble
Argo
The Avengers
Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Perks of Being a Wallflower
Seven Psychopaths

Most Disappointing Film
John Carter
Keep the Lights On
Prometheus
Snow White and the Huntsman
Total Recall
The Words

Worst Film
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
The Lucky One
Mirror Mirror
Rock of Ages
This Means War
Vamps

Best Netflix Movie
City of God
The Counterfeiters
Gambit
Hannah and Her Sisters
Manhattan
Silkwood
Singin' in the Rain
The Skin I Live In
Sophie's Choice
Strangers on a Train

I used to have a "Worst Performance" category, but I couldn't muster enough energy to care about singling those out this year especially with my usual go-to punching bag Channing Tatum annoyingly proving me wrong this year. In any case, my goal is to post the winners in a couple of days or so, which probably means sometime next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!