Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Quick Reviews: Jane Eyre, HappyThankYou, and Paul


After Oscar season, it usually takes me awhile to start watching movies again and this year was no different. Didn't see my first 2011 feature until a few weeks ago, but now that March is nearly over and summer movie season is just around the corner, just like to do quick reviews on the three films I did end up seeing this month.

Jane Eyre - I already briefly talked about this film in a previous entry and I don't have much to add except to say that everyone involve should be proud of the film that made it on screen. And if I didn't make it clear in my other entry, I thought Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender were magnificent. B/B+

HappyThankYouMorePlease - The story revolves around three 20-something New Yorkers dealing with their usual problems. Here's the thing, it was a little boring and a whole lot self-indulgent, but in the end I didn't regret watching it, because the actors more than made up for it. Kudos to Josh Radnor who wrote and directed this film mostly for inhabiting a character that isn't Ted from How I Met Your Mother. B-

Paul - The plot itself left much to be desired simultaneously underdeveloped and overcomplicated, but everything else was a ball of fun. This was a geek movie from beginning to end from the opening scene in Comic Con to the appearance of Ripley towards the end. Writers Pegg and Frost do their usual bromance thing to perfection and color me shocked at how well Rogen did as Paul. B-/B

Next month, I'm going to try and catch two films from two directors I really like, Source Code and Hanna. And then it'll be the summer movie season and I don't even have the bandwidth to think about those films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!