Monday, March 8, 2010

Academy Awards Winners


I'm going to not really talk about the ceremony though I do have to say that it wasn't as bad as I expected. That's high praise indeed since I was expecting an epic fail. Bill Mechanic and Adam Shankman had some nice surprises and their crazy radical ideas on paper didn't really seem so crazy on stage. Maybe I'll change my mind after I've had a day or so to think about it, but for now, they did fine.

But of course, it's all about the winners:

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Best Lead Actor: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
Best Lead Actress: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique, Precious
Best Original Screenplay: The Hurt Locker
Best Adapted Screenplay: Precious
Best Animated Film: Up
Best Foreign Language Film: El Secreto De Sus Ojos, Argentina
Best Original Score: Up
Best Original Song: "The Weary Kind," Crazy Heart
Best Editing: The Hurt Locker
Best Art Direction: Avatar
Best Cinematography: Avatar
Best Costume Design: The Young Victoria
Best Makeup: Star Trek
Best Documentary: The Cove
Best Documentary Short: Music by Prudence
Best Animated Short: Logorama
Best Live Action Short: The New Tenants
Best Sound Editing: The Hurt Locker
Best Sound Mixing: The Hurt Locker
Best Visual Effects: Avatar

6 - The Hurt Locker
3 - Avatar
2 - Precious, Up, Crazy Heart
1 - The Blind Side, Inglourious Basterds, The Young Victoria, Star Trek, The Cove, El Secreto De Sus Ojos, Music By Prudence, Logorama, The New Tenants

I wouldn't exactly say I'm happy with the results unlike last year where all of my "should wins" won, but I'm not unhappy about any of the wins. As predicted, The Hurt Locker cleaned up getting 6 wins including Best Picture and a historic Best Director win. The acting categories also stayed true to form as Bullock, Bridges, Mo'Nique, and Waltz walked away the champions. Avatar had to settle for getting the second most wins of the night with three wins, all technical awards.

As for my predictions, I went 16/24 (67%) which is pretty bad especially since I was complaining about how predictable this award season has been. In my defense, three of my misses encompassed the short films categories and really they are always a crap-shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!