Monday, February 22, 2010

My Personal Oscar Ballot

Final Oscar ballots were mailed out to the Academy members more than ten days ago and while most of them have already filled theirs out, there are certainly a few stragglers waiting until the very last minute. Every film/Oscar watcher have dreamed about getting their hands on a ballot and being one of the few to choose the winners of film's highest honor. So I thought what if I was given the chance to cast my ballot for this year's awards. What would that look like? What would I do?

First Note: For Best Picture, Academy voters are asked to rank their choices from 1 to 10. For the other categories, they are only ask to pick their choice of winner.

Second Note: These are NOT my predictions. Like I said on top, this is how I would cast my own ballot if I was an Academy member.

Best Picture
1 - District 9
2 - Avatar
3 - Up
4 - Up in the Air
5 - Inglourious Basterds
6 - An Education
7 - The Hurt Locker
8 - Precious
9 - A Serious Man
10 - The Blind Side

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Best Lead Actor: Colin Firth, A Single Man
Best Lead Actress: Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique, Precious
Best Animated Film: Up
Best Original Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds
Best Adapted Screenplay: District 9
Best Foreign Language Film: Un Prophete, France
Best Original Score: Up
Best Original Song: "Take It All," Nine
Best Editing: District 9
Best Art Direction: Avatar
Best Cinematography: Avatar
Best Costume Design: Bright Star
Best Makeup: Star Trek
Best Documentary: The Cove
Best Documentary Short: China's Unnatural Disaster
Best Animated Short: Logorama
Best Live Action Short: Instead of Abracadabra
Best Sound Editing: Up
Best Sound Mixing: Star Trek
Best Visual Effects: Avatar

Tally: 3 - District 9, Avatar, Up; 2 - Inglourious Basterds, Star Trek; 1 - The Hurt Locker, A Single Man, Julie & Julia, Precious, Bright Star, Nine, Un Prophete, The Cove, China's Unnatural Disaster, Logorama, Instead of Abracadabra

I ended up giving most of the awards to 3 of my top 4 films of the year and yet still went with the concensus choices for Director and the two Supporting categories. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!