Sunday, February 28, 2010

TV's Spring Awakening

Haven't really mentioned it at all here, but I have more or less been watching the Winter Olympics nonstop. I guess I'm just a sucker for the inherent drama of representing one's country and going for the win against all odds. The stories some of these athletes have coming into the games have been incredible.

And with a less than subtle segue, I do miss the stories from some of the TV shows that have taken a break because of the Olympics. I mean the past two weeks on TV haven't been completely barren. Lost, Amazing Race, Greek, and 24 are some of my regulars that didn't take a break. And other than a lagging 24, the other shows I mentioned have been kicking it out of the park. Lost, in particular, seems to be bringing its A-game for its final season, but this is nothing new for the show really. With that said, I do greatly miss my weekly dose of half-hour comedies--How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Community, and 30 Rock.

As for new shows premiering this mid-season, the only one that has caught my eye is Parenthood. How could I miss it when NBC has been insanely promoting it throughout its Olympic coverage? PROS: Lauren Graham and Peter Krause. CONS: Dax Shepard and it is up against The Good Wife. So... I'm still undecided.

Finally, there are those shows that have taken a much longer hiatus than just the two weeks for the Olympics. It's interesting to note that for some, absence does make the heart grow fonder while for others, it's more like out of sight, out of mind. For example, I'm getting impatient about waiting for Glee, Fringe, and V, but finding myself not really caring for the return of Gossip Girl and FlashForward.

Alan Sepinwall has recently posted a very convenient list of "notable shows debuting or returning" in the coming months. It's pretty complete, though I take issue with him forgetting that Doctor Who returns with the new Doctor on April 17 for American audiences and two weeks earlier on April 4 (Easter Sunday) for those lucky Brits. Geronimo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!