Wednesday, February 19, 2014

End-Of-Year: 2013 Film Nominees


Cutting it super close with my "year-end" posts this year especially as my self-imposed deadline are the Oscars, which is actually just 11 days away! So until then, I'm hoping to talk about my personal favorite films and performances beginning with my own nominations below, which weren't easy at all to narrow as I officially saw 106 films, a new record for me. Though even seeing that many movies, I didn't get to see everything I wanted (or needed) to see including Nebraska, Upstream Color, Kill Your Darlings, Blue is the Warmest Color, The Grandmaster, Rush, The Past, Broken Circle Breakdown, and many more. Anyways, here are my nominees...

Best Film
12 Years a Slave
Before Midnight
Frozen
Gravity
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
Much Ado About Nothing
Out in the Dark
Short Term 12
Stories We Tell

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Great Gatsby/Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Domhnall Gleeson, About Time
Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis
Nicholas Jacob, Out in the Dark
Joaquin Phoenix, Her

Best Actress
Amy Acker, Much Ado About Nothing
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock, Gravity/The Heat
Julie Delpy, Before Midnight
Brie Larson, Short Term 12
Melissa McCarthy, The Heat

Best Supporting Actor

Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
Ryan Gosling, The Place Beyond the Pines
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
Fran Kranz, Much Ado About Nothing
David Oyelowo, Lee Daniels' The Butler

Best Supporting Actress

Elizabeth Banks, Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Melonie Diaz, Fruitvale Station
Scarlett Johansson, Her/Don Jon
Julianne Nicholson, August: Osage County
Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
Oprah Winfrey, Lee Daniels' The Butler

Best Young Actor/Actress
Onata Aprile, What Maisie Knew
Liam James, The Way Way Back
Nick Robinson, The Kings of Summer
Tye Sheridan, Mud
Keith Stanfield, Short Term 12
Shailene Woodley, Spectacular Now

Best Ensemble
12 Years a Slave
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Inside Llewyn Davis
Much Ado About Nothing
Now You See Me
The Way, Way Back

Most Disappointing Film
Beautiful Creatures
Elysium
Gangster Squad
Man of Steel
Only God Forgives
The Wolverine

Worst Film
The Hangover Part 3
The Host
Oz The Great and Powerful
Red 2
Upside Down
White House Down

Actors I nominated last year who are nominated again this year include Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Banks, and Fran Kranz with Banks repeating her nomination for the same franchise and Kranz nominated again for a Joss Whedon production.

Also, I used to have a category for Worst Acting Performance, which I stopped last year because the negativity turned me off. This year I got rid of another category, Best Netflix Movie, mostly because I spent most of my time on Netflix watching TV shows or catching up on last year's theatrical films rather than checking out older films. I'll try to do better in the upcoming year. As for my winners, my goal is for this weekend then spend next week coming up with my ranked list of films. 11 days to do all of that. Should be doable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!