Sunday, February 16, 2014

BAFTA Predictions


This is the first weekend Oscar voters will be able to actually cast their vote so this year's BAFTA Awards, being held tonight, will be that much more influential potentially on awards season. But the big outcome will be whether it's 12 Years a Slave with its British director and largely British cast or Gravity with its double Best Film nominee including Best British Film will come out on top. My thoughts on some of the nominees are here, while my final predictions are below:

Best Film: 12 Years a Slave
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
Best Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Best Supporting Actor: Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
Best Original Screenplay: American Hustle
Best Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave
Best British Film: Gravity
Best Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty
Best Documentary: The Act of Killing
Best Animated Film: Frozen


Best Film Editing: Gravity
Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby
Best Cinematography: Gravity
Best Costume Design: Behind the Candelabra
Best Makeup & Hair: Behind the Candelabra
Best Original Music: Gravity
Best Sound: Gravity
Best Visual Effects: Gravity
Best British Debut: Kelly Msarcel, Saving Mr. Banks
Orange Rising Star: Lupita Nyong'o

One of my favorite things about the BAFTAs is that every year they commission an artist to create interpretive posters for the Best Film nominees. This year that honor goes to La Boca and I've posted them all above. As for my predictions, I don't feel confident about them at all. I'm hedging my bets by predicting Gravity and 12 Years a Slave to walk away with five wins each, but I'm clearly thinking that the latter film will dominate the big awards. I'm also randomly predicting two awards for Behind the Candelabra. At this point, I think I'm just self-sabotaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!