Friday, April 27, 2012

A Thousand and One Nights

It's been that kind of month where my blogging slows down to a crawl. My mind is too occupied with "real life" things that even my usual TV-loving self is finding it difficult to watch shows at full attention. Hopefully I can do a catch-up TV Report post this weekend to cover the last two weeks, but just in case I forget to highlight this particular what-the-fuckery* I present to you now the much-talked about "Bollywood" number from this week's Smash that really needs to be seen to believe:



I am of two minds on this number. On the one hand, it's pretty damn racist conflating Indian, Arabian, and other cultures in one over-the-top performance. It also reeks a bit of desperation for a show that really has fallen off the deep end and is now struggling to figure out how to stay afloat. On the other hand, the song is ridiculously catchy and I couldn't helped but be enthralled by the colorful costumes and fun choreography and yes it's over-the-top-ness. I actually hope the show keeps doing more of this kind of campy, outlandish numbers involving the entire cast. Just make it a little less racist next time. And improve on the non-singing/dancing parts of the show!

*It's pretty funny I chose to highlight this particular TV moment in a TV week that included a group of folks taking an LSD trip, a woman giving birth to a smoke monster, a Whitney Houston tribute, a Law & Order spoof, and a live TV episode. Looks like I'm not the only one experience a crazy week it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!