Friday, September 18, 2009

Emmy Nominations and Predictions

The Emmy Awards are two days away and oddly enough I'm excited. Last year's debacle should've turned me off of it, but with a certain somebody hosting and a slew of other changes, I am looking forward to seeing the ceremony. Before I get to the main categories and my predictions, just wanted to congratulate Pushing Daisies, Joss Whedon, Tina Fey, and other people who have already won an Emmy this year at the Creative Emmy Awards held last week.

BEST DRAMA SERIES
Big Love
Breaking Bad
Damages
Dexter
House
Lost
Mad Men

This overstuffed category is full of good choices, but it will most likely come down to two former winners, Lost and Mad Men. Fans of both as well as critics praise both shows, but it is Mad Men that has had more awards cache. For me, I love both shows, but I'm definitely rooting for Lost's spectacular season.

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Hugh Laurie, House
Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Simon Baker, The Mentalist

This is the same lineup last year except Simon Baker replaced James Spader. Last year, most thought Jon Hamm would take the win riding the Mad Men love, but Bryan Cranston took it instead. This year, I doub Cranston will repeat and Mad Men is even bigger than ever. But while I see Hamm winning, I wouldn't be at all shocked if Laurie or Hall takes it. I'm rooting for Hamm.

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
Sally Field, Brothers & Sisters
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Glenn Close, Damages
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Holly Hunter, Saving Grace

Yawn. Like the men, this is pretty much the same lineup as last year except for the addition of newcomer Elisabeth Moss . Oddly enough I see her as the frontrunner to win especially if Mad Men love is there. I would definitely love for her to win, but look for a fight with Glenn Close and maybe Hargitay.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, DRAMA
William Shatner, Boston Legal
Christian Clemenson, Boston Legal
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
William Hurt, Damages
Michael Emerson, Lost
John Slattery, Mad Men

Of course my preference would be Michael Emerson to win, but unless Lost hits it big with the voters, he has no chance. I'm thinking this is a race between William Hurt and John Slattery and really I think it's pretty much a toss-up.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, DRAMA
Rose Byrne, Damages
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy
Dianne Wiest, In Treatment
Hope Davis, In Treatment
Cherry Jones, 24

Last year Dianne Wiest won this award and she can very well be a repeat winner. I can see any of these ladies win the award, however, so this will be one of the more interesting awards to watch out for. Personally I'm rooting for Cherry Jones and Sandra Oh.

BEST COMEDY SERIES
Entourage
Family Guy
Flight of the Conchords
How I Met Your Mother
The Office
30 Rock
Weeds

Even though it's up against six other shows, it's hard to see last year's champion 30 Rock not taking this prize. It's riding the award momentum it has had the past year including Tina Fey's successes. The only other shows I can even see stealing the top prize away would be Family Guy (for novelty/controversy), HIMYM (for traditional comedies/NPH factor), and Weeds (ooh Showtime). I would die happy if HIMYM were to win this one though.

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY
Jim Parsons, Big Bang Theory
Jemaine Clement, Flight of the Conchords
Tony Shalhoud, Monk
Steve Carell, The Office
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

It's almost a certainty that Alec Baldwin will win again and why not? His character in 30 Rock is hilarious. Surprisingly his toughest competition is actually newcomer Jim Parsons who has broken out as the exceedingly quirky Sheldon in Big Bang Theory. It would be a great story to see Parsons take this one on Emmy night.

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY
Julia-Louis Dreyfus, New Adventures of Old Christine
Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
Sarah Silverman, Sarah Silverman Program
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Toni Collette, United States of Tara
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

Unless the academy is tired of seeing Sarah Palin-look-alike Tina Fey on stage, she will win this hands down. The only competition I see for her would be Toni Collette or former winner, Mary-Louise Parker. But it's looking like another awesome awards night for Fey.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDY
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Rainn Wilson, The Office
Tracy Morgan, 30 Rock
Jack McBrayer, 30 Rock
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men

I am almost afraid to say anything in fear of jinxing him, but this is Neil Patrick Harris' year. He's been nominated before and always lost out to Jeremy Piven who is not nominated this year. He has been popping up everywhere this year hosting award shows and having cover stories done on him. It seems most everyone is predicting him to win, which scares me. He definitely deserves it, but I would watch out for those 30 Rock actors.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDY
Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies
Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
Kristin Wiig, Saturday Night Live
Jane Krakowsky, 30 Rock
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds

First of all, how awesome is this category? I'm pretty much having a Sophie's choice right now. They all deserve to win and I love them all to pieces. I am rooting for the two Kristins... Wiig and Chenoweth. I have a feeling one of them will win (if not Amy Poehler). Too tough!

Who are you rooting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!