Sunday, November 6, 2011

Buffy Musical and 24 Turn Ten

This morning I learned that two major TV events celebrated their 10-year anniversary today. The first is near and dear to my heart as it has to do with my beloved Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Its musical episode "Once More With Feeling" debut with its cast and crew singing and dancing into all of our hearts. The episode ended up getting Emmy-nominated for its Music Direction. Director Joss Whedon also wrote the score and lyrics to all of the songs, a precursor to his Emmy-winning Dr. Horrible Sing-Along Blog web series. It remains one of my favorite episodes of the series and while I love most of the songs, I am quite partial to "Under Your Spell" and the heartbreaking Tara/Giles duet.

The second TV event that happened a decade ago was the series premiere of 24. As I said last year when it was announced the series would end after its 8th season, it is no doubt one of the most important television programs of the past decade. Postponed due to the terrorist attacks on 9/11, the show flourished with America needing an anti-hero American hero in this moment in time. It was nominated for 10 Emmy awards its first year with two wins including Best Writing for its pilot episode. Kiefer Sutherland grabbed Best Actor at the Golden Globes that year as well with the TCA bestowing the show its New Program of the Year AND Program of the Year honors.

See old promos for both "Once More, With Feeling" and 24 after the cut.



2 comments:

  1. I never watched 24 (and probably never will) but big props to you mentioning Buffy The Vampire Slayer's Musical Episode. Having come to seasons 6 and 7 later in the game (if a program was on UPN, I just wasn't watching it in the late nineties/early 2000s) and absolutely fell in love with this episode. Albeit having watched all seven seasons, I'd have to say a big chunk of my favorite episodes are in season 6 and 7 respectively. Joss Whedon rocks my socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Grins ridiculously* Buffy.

    Siiiiigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!