Saturday, October 24, 2020

NewFest Film Festival: Day 8

This is me reviewing the films I've seen at this year's NewFest LGBTQ Film Festival. Click here for my other reviews of the festival.

Yesterday was my birthday so I thought I wouldn't have time to see any movies, but I saw one early on and the other later that night and based on my feelings I probably should've swapped the order. Onwards...


CICADA (dir. Matthew Fifer)


This is the kind of film that lives and dies with the chemistry of its two leads especially because we spend so much time with them together as they learn things about one another and navigate the ups and downs of their burgeoning relationship. Fortunately, Matthew Fifer (also the writer and director) and Sheldon Brown have it in spades especially in deftly portraying the wide spectrum of a relationship from the joy of its start to the difficulty of figuring out the exact meaning of how it is to be a couple. For the latter, in this film, it's about how both of their characters are able to move on from or simply acknowledge past traumas not only for themselves but in order to open themselves up to another person. CICADA walks a delicate tightrope in giving the audience lingering, meandering, seemingly random moments (usually with a dreamy New York City as its backdrop) while also incisively dealing with the specific issues of its characters with sensitivity and heartfelt direction. Some patience may be required, but this intimate journey is worth it. Also shout out to some real interesting cameos from Colbie Smulders, Bowen Yang, Scott Adsit, and David Burtka.


ELLIE & ABBIE (& ELLIE’S DEAD AUNT) (dir. Monica Zanetti)


I really wished I liked this movie more, because the title is fantastic and its premise is probably one of the most exciting, original thing I've come across this whole festival. Basically, after coming out to her mom, Ellie suddenly starts seeing her dead aunt who died a long time ago. You see, Ellie's aunt Tara is also a lesbian and she's come back to be Ellie's mentor and to help her ask her crush Abbie out to the school's formal. Unfortunately ELLIE & ABBIE (& ELLIE’S DEAD AUNT) doesn't really live up to this awesome concept. It instead relegates Tara missing for scenes she definitely should've been in as well as kneecaps what should've been a cute story about two girls discovering they liked one another by giving the characters one nonsensical roadblock after another. The latter gives the movie no real momentum towards the climax and the inevitable resolution. The movie shouldn't be dismissed though since the performances are good and there's a handful of truly lovely scenes. Also they name dropped Roger Federer, which is always a plus for me.

We're getting down to the wire! Perhaps I'll do a triple feature next. Or more. Follow me on Letterboxd if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!