Monday, October 19, 2020

NewFest Film Festival: Day 3

This is me reviewing the films I've seen at this year's NewFest LGBTQ Film Festival. Click here for my other reviews of the festival.


ÉTÉ 85 (dir. François Ozon)


Having only seen a handful of films from director François Ozon, I knew about his penchant for queering his stories and using human sexuality as a conduit for his characters. So when I heard about him doing a coming-of-age Call Me By Your Name-style gay movie, I was immediately intrigued. ÉTÉ 85 (Summer of 85) revolves around 16-year-old Alexis who begins a whirlwind relationship with slightly older, motorbike-riding, laissez-faire, hero-to-all David. Félix Lefebvre and Benjamin Voisin, playing Alexis and David respectively, have an easy chemistry with one another complementing the picturesque Normandy beachside town where the movie takes place. I probably would've been happy if the movie stayed on this level, but for better or worse, the movie capsizes expectations in a few ways serving up a central mystery that worked for me in the end even if it might not work for others.


SUBLET (dir. Eytan Fox)


One of these days, we will be able to freely travel again and meet exciting new people from far-off lands. Until then, we will all need to vicariously live through films like SUBLET. Here, Michael, played by the always watchable John Benjamin Hickey, is a New York Times travel writer on assignment in Tel Aviv where he sublets the place of much-younger-than-him Israeli man named Tomer played by the very handsome newcomer Niv Nissim. From there you think you know where the film goes, but like the conversations and trips the two men engage in, there are various detours and surprises. It's a lovely back-and-forth between the two characters, prodding, challenging each other as men from different generations and different cultures. I've been a fan of Eytan Fox for awhile now (Yossi & Jagger is a classic and The Bubble is underpraised). SUBLET continues his winning streak for me.


KEYBOARD FANTASIES: THE BEVERLY GLENN-COPELAND STORY (dir. Posy Dixon)


Knowing nothing about the history of electronic music, I have never heard of Glenn Copeland and his work. This loving documentary is brisk (it's just over an hour long) and it does feel like we're missing some parts of his amazing journey. But the focus on his most recent tour surrounded by young musicians allows Glenn, through his own words, to reflect on and savor his own legacy and his impact as a musician and a transgender icon giving the documentary an inspirational vibe that feels like a warm hug. I immediately downloaded a couple of his songs afterwards.

I've already seen my Day 4 movies, but those reviews will be posted tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!