Friday, October 23, 2020

NewFest Film Festival: Day 7

This is me reviewing the films I've seen at this year's NewFest LGBTQ Film Festival. Click here for my other reviews of the festival.


RŪRANGI (dir. Max Currie)


Heartfelt, funny, and wholly affective, this film really surprised me. Starring Elz Carrad as the brooding trans activist Caz, RŪRANGI tells the story of his homecoming after leaving his small town a decade ago. The expectation for this kind of film is to lean on the drama. But while there's still plenty of that to give due weight to the trans experience, the humor and joy really make a difference. A lot of that comes from scenes between Caz and his ex Jem (adorably portrayed by Arlo Green) as they navigate potential reignited feelings. Does the movie try to do a lot? Yes, it does, but I counter that instead of distracting, it gives us a better idea of the world Caz had left and is now returning to possibly stay. Apparently this was conceived and presented as a TV show, which wasn't too evident for me until I screamed "I need a sequel!" after the last scene. Another details to call out is the film's concerted effort to get participation from POC and LGBTQ people on and off screen.


SHORTS: THE GAG’S ALL HERE (2.0)


I foolishly thought that I would need to see some funny movies after seeing the above film. Thankfully, no, but I stuck to my guns because I thought it'd be good counter-programming to what was on TV at the time (hint: debate). In any case, this shorts program was all about providing an extreme amount of quirk and laughs. Some were better at it than others.

My two favorites begins and ends the slate. The first film is called HEART TO HEART which tells a story of a girl who hears a foul-mouthed voice in her head after heart surgery. Turns out, it's her heart, randomly voiced by the great David Tennant, and it was her to get laid. A lot of the humor comes from the crazy things Tennant is forced to say in that accent of his, but man did I laugh!

MONSIEUR is the last film and as you can tell, it's French. It's about a guy wanting to participate in a pageant and gets to with the help of his best friend. That's all well and fine until it transforms into a musical (which you guys know I love) complete with sassy choreography and a surprise requited love twist. The ending is a bit limp, but the rest soars.

Other standouts for me are 2 DOLLARS (think The Office if Jim were a queer, black woman) and DON'T TEXT BACK (think Little Shop of Horrors except with Men's Rights Activists and a cursed necklace minus the singing).

The next day (i.e. today) is my birthday so not sure I'll have time to see things. What am I saying? I definitely will. Follow me on Letterboxd!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!