Saturday, December 29, 2012

Birthday Boy: Jude Law


I feel like Jude Law doesn't get nearly enough credit as an actor even with his two Oscar nominations. He did win a much deserved BAFTA for his role in The Talented Mr. Ripley which was probably his biggest break in the industry giving him his first Oscar nomination and yet even before that he had already worked with David Cronenberg and Clint Eastwood. He got more notices in Steven Spielberg's A.I. Artificial Intelligence playing an android and then his second Oscar nomination playing a confederate soldier in Cold Mountain.

Since then he has made over 20 films, co-starring with various fellow Hollywood A-listers. Some of my favorites include I Heart Huckabees, Closer, and Contagion. Though if you ask the general public, they'd probably cite his role as Dr. John Watson playing the sidekick to Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes in those Guy Ritchie films. More recently, he played Karenin opposite Keira Knightley's Anna Karenina. It's unfortunate that the Joe Wright film seems to have faded into obscurity at least in regards to year-end awards, because I think Law delivers quite a mature and subtle performance as the wronged husband. He also lent his voice in Rise of the Guardians playing the main villain Pitch. I had actually seen Anna Karenina just days before I saw the aforementioned film and for some reason I just could not place Law's voice until the end credits. Pretty shameful on my part.

With all of that said, Jude Law celebrates his 40th birthday today and from the looks of things, he hasn't even begun to slow down.

1 comment:

  1. Jude is fabulous.

    Perhaps mere mortals cannot deal with that.

    (But, still, as much as I adore him less Sherlock more Anna Karenina, please.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!