Monday, December 10, 2012

AFI Top Ten Films/TV Programs of 2012

It's the American Film Institute's turn to chime in on their favorite films and TV shows of the past year. Do note that only American films and TV shows make the cut. Check them out below:


MOVIES OF THE YEAR
  • Argo
  • Beasts of the Southern Wild
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Django Unchained
  • Les Misérables
  • Life of Pi
  • Lincoln
  • Moonrise Kingdom
  • Silver Linings Playbook
  • Zero Dark Thirty

This is a damn solid albeit supremely dull list. Most, if not all, are already in the shortlist for Oscar nominations so what else is there to say? The inclusion of Christopher Nolan's final Batman film is slightly refreshing, but I myself would've opted for Joss Whedon's The Avengers myself. The exclusion of The Master is probably the one major snub in this list, but I would've also liked to have seen them champion Perks of Being a Wallflower or even ParaNorman. The latter especially since they championed Coraline a few years back. I do still need to see three of these films (Django, Les Miz, and Zero Dark), but since they all haven't been released yet to the general public I think I'm good!


TV PROGRAMS OF THE YEAR
  • American Horror Story: Asylum
  • Breaking Bad
  • Game Change
  • Game of Thrones
  • Girls
  • Homeland
  • Louie
  • Mad Men
  • Modern Family
  • The Walking Dead

We're still not sick of honoring Modern Family? I mean, yes I still like the show very much, but think outside the box, people! And Mad Men is great, but have they ever NOT picked the show for this honor? And especially with an election year, I'm surprised not to see Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, Veep, or The Good Wife, which all tackled politics in one form or another this year, on this list. Then again they probably had their politics quota with Game Change and Homeland. Plus overall, I really can't fault them on this list too much. It's just not an overly exciting one for me. But I recognize that it could be much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!