Saturday, February 21, 2015

My Oscar Predictions


Right now, we can all Imagine What's Possible as the Oscar poster says. But by this time tomorrow, we will all know the winners of the 87th Academy Awards. I'll attempt to make some predictions below, but I'm not super hopeful. Yes, some categories are as easy as pies, but this year more than most seem to have categories that have no true frontrunner, which I supposed is refreshing. So for my predictions...

Best Picture: Birdman
Best Director: Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Best Lead Actor: Michael Keaton, Birdman
Best Lead Actress: Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, Whiplash
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Best Animated Film: How to Train Your Dragon 2
Best Original Screenplay: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Imitation Game
Best Foreign Language Film: Ida
Best Documentary: Citizenfour
Best Original Score: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Best Original Song: "Glory," Selma
Best Editing: Boyhood
Best Production Design: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Best Cinematography: Birdman
Best Costume Design: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Best Makeup and Hair: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Best Sound Editing: American Sniper
Best Sound Mixing: American Sniper
Best Visual Effects: Interstellar
Best Live Action Short: The Phone Call
Best Animated Short: Feast
Best Documentary Short: Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1

Tally: 5 - Grand Budapest Hotel; 3 - Birdman, Boyhood; 2 - American Sniper; 1 - Still Alice, Whiplash, How to Train Your Dragon 2, The Imitation Game, Ida, Citizenfour, Selma, Interstellar, The Phone Call, Feast, Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1

Any combination of Birdman-Boyhood winning Picture-Director I could totally buy, but I'm going with the split that everyone seems to be predicting. It's certainly my preference if Boyhood HAD to lose Best Picture. The rest are a mix of gut feeling and based on precursors and buzz. Grand Budapest will certainly win the most awards tomorrow as I'm predicting here. But American Sniper for both Sound awards? No wins at all for Theory of Everything? Sure? Let's see how right/wrong I am.

To see what I would've voted for instead (i.e. my Should Wins), click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!