Tuesday, April 15, 2014

He tried to make love to me and I shot him...

This post is part of Nathaniel's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" series in which the participants must post a single image from a movie he or she deems as the "best shot" for any particular reason.


Not only is this the first time I saw The Letter, but this is also my first Bette Davis film ever. And golly, isn't she just something to behold? Her eyes in particular are striking, perfectly complementary to her stark surroundings. So my favorite shot actually came super early in the film...


Oh, it was all instinctive. I didn't even know I'd fired. Then I followed him out to the veranda. He staggered across the porch, grabbed the railing, but it slipped through his hand and he fell down the steps. I don't remember anything more, just the reports one after another till there was a funny little click and the revolver was empty. It was only then I knew what I'd done.

The shot is right after she has unloaded six bullets into the guy she was having an affair with (aka best character entrance ever). The moon is momentarily covered by the clouds as she stares at his lifeless body and then the clouds break and she turns her huge eyes up to the sky as if finally realizing what she had done. Of course, we learn later on in the film of the exact circumstances which leads her to this moment, but for now the audience is all eyes on her as it should be.

Below are a few more shots of Bette Davis' eyes (yes, yes I know)...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!