Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I see your face, you're haunting me...

This post is part of Nathaniel's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" series in which the participants must post a single image from a movie he or she deems as the "best shot" for any particular reason.


Today marks the season finale of the "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" series and after a run of older films I had never seen before and ended up really liking, the final film is the newer, much more divisive Spring Breakers. Harmony Korine's bold neon-colored film got lots of attention from its premiere exactly one year ago at the Venice International Film Festival to the days leading up to its nationwide release earlier this year so I really was looking forward to seeing the film for myself. I saw it just a couple months back and it was clear that apart from Franco's performance and the arresting visual aesthetics of the film, it just wasn't for me. So in picking my favorite shots, I went with visual moments that for one reason or another got stuck in my head, especially since I didn't want to re-watch the film.



These first two shots feature the girls together, in their candy-colored swimsuits, as they are brought to jail as a consequence for their careless and carefree spring break activities. Just love shots with all of the girls together and in both of these, the focus on their bright costumes, either due to a spotlight or a deep blue background, was memorable. Afterwards, the film takes on a far darker and more hedonistic edge when the girls meet Alien, gutsily played by Franco who features in the next two shots:


 My Best Shot

That gun-in-the-mouth scene is a very close runner-up since in a film that calls attention to itself with every scene, this is the scene that really makes the viewer take notice. My favorite shot though is the surreal sequence where Alien plays and sings Britney Spears' "Everytime" as the girls wear pink ski masks, hold guns, and dance. I mean even if I never see the film again, I would probably watch this particular moment again just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!