Wednesday, June 19, 2013

RIP James Gandolfini (1961-2013)


At the age of 51, James Gandolfini has died. He will forever be known as Tony Soprano, a role that won him numerous awards including three Emmy Awards. Sadly, The Sopranos is one of those rare TV shows that I never got around to seeing. Fortunately, I was able to appreciate Gandolfini in his often small, but almost always wonderful film roles. His comedic turns in The Mexican and In the Loop are scene-stealers, but it's his Oscar-worthy portrayal of Carol in Where the Wild Things Are that is currently sticking with me at this moment, especially this scene:


Carol: This part of your kingdom's not so good.
Max: Why?
Carol: Well, look: this used to be all rock, and now it's sand, and then, one day, it's going to be dust, and then the whole island will be dust, and then... well I don't even know what comes after dust.
Max: Carol... did you know the sun was gonna die?
Carol: What? I never heard that... Oh, come on. That can't happen. I mean you're the king, and look at me, I'm big! how can guys like us worry about a tiny little thing like the sun, hmm?

And cut to black. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Feel free to drop me a line. Instead of being Anonymous though, pick a name. Any name would do. Thanks again!